Islamic University in Uganda IUIU Habib Medical School
Islamic University in Uganda IUIU Habib Medical School – see the list of courses offered, fees structure and admission at Habib Medical School…
THE BACHELOR OF MEDICINE AND BACHELOR OF SURGERY (MBChB)
Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU) is proud to announce the introduction of the Bachelor of Medicine and the Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) offered at IUIU Kampala Campus, Kibuli for the current Academic Year.
The IUIU Medical School and the MBChB Programme are accredited by the National Council for Higher Education.
Minimum Admission Requirements:
The minimum entry requirements into the Programmes are as follows:
- Direct Entry Scheme
For admission to the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery under the direct entry scheme (‘A’ level), the candidate must have:
- Completed the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) or its equivalent and attained at least five passes including Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- Completed the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) or its equivalent, and attained at least two principal passes including Biology and Chemistry. A subsidiary pass in Physics or Mathematics will be an added advantage.
Remedial Entry Scheme
For admission to the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery under the Remedial entry scheme for nationals of countries without the ‘A’ level system, the candidate must have:
- Completed ‘O’ level and attained at least five passes including Mathematics, English, Biology and Chemistry.
- Duly completed the IUIU Remedial science Programme and holds the IUIU Remedial Science Certificate.
- Passed both biology and chemistry in the IUIU Remedial Science program and attained an average grade of at least 60% in each of the two subjects.
- Mature Age Entry
For admission into the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery programme under the Mature Age / Aptitude Scheme, a candidate must have;
- Sat and passed the Mature Age Entrance Examinations administered by any of the universities accredited by National Council for Higher Education to conduct the Mature/Aptitude Examinations.
- attained at least 50% and holds a valid Mature Age/ Aptitude Entry Certificate from the NCHE recognized Mature/Aptitude Examination Institution
- The university reserves the right to administer additional pre-entry exams and merit based selection criteria for candidates who apply through the Mature/Aptitude Exam Scheme
d) Diploma Holders Entry Scheme
For admission to the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery under the Diploma Holders Entry Scheme, a candidate must have:
- Completed ‘O’ level or its equivalent with at least five passes including Biology, Chemistry, English and Mathematics
- Completed ‘A’ level or its equivalent and attained at least one principal pass in Biology or in addition to (i) above holds a clinical health related certificate from a recognized institution by NCHE and the appropriate professional body
- Be a holder of a Diploma in a clinical health related discipline awarded by an NCHE recognized higher education institution
- The candidate must have obtained at least a “Credit” (wherever applicable) in the overall assessment.
- Relevant work and practice experience in a recognized health unit, centre or hospital will be added advantage
- The university reserves the right to administer additional pre-entry exams for candidates who apply through the diploma entry scheme
e) Degree holder entry scheme
For admission to the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery under the Degree Holders Entry Scheme, a candidate must be a holder of any of the following degrees obtained from NCHE recognized institutions:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science Medical Radiography
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Science Laboratory Technology
- Or any other degree related programme
f) Programme duration
The IUIU MBChB programme will be on a full–time basis and will last a minimum of Five (5) academic years and NOT more than seven (7) academic years. Each academic year will consist of two 17-week semesters and one 10-week recess semester (includes 2 weeks for examinations) except for the final year. The programme shall be governed by the general admissions, registration, teaching, examination and graduation rules and regulations, and policies of the Islamic University in Uganda and the minimum standards of the National Council for Higher Education, Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioners Council and other related professional bodies.
After successful completion of the MBChB, students shall be required to do a one year internship before they are registered by Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioners Council to practice medicine.
- Semester 1 – 4,375,000/=
Semester 2 – 4,375,000/=
Recess Semester – 1,250,000/=.
- Ugandan students shall pay in Uganda shillings
- All international students shall pay tuition in US$ (United States Dollars): US$ 1,750 (one thousand seven hundred fifty United States dollars only) per Semester 1 and Semester 2
- All international students shall pay tuition for the Recess Semester in US$ (united states dollars): US$ 500 (five hundred United States dollars only)
- Tuition indicated for both Ugandan and international students excludes other functional fees to be detailed in the admission letter
Application forms can be obtained at IUIU Kampala Campus located at Kibuli, OR at the IUIU Liaison Office at King Fahd Plaza upper basement, OR at the IUIU Main Campus, Mbale at a non-refundable fee of UShs. 27,500/= (10 US$) inclusive of the bank charges, payable in Standard Chartered Bank (A/C No. 0102006038000 – Islamic University Academic Activities) and Barclays A/C No. 0344035784.
For details, call 0414-341561 OR 0414-230424 OR 0772-630804/0701-630805 OR 0702-882110/0712-882110 OR Fax: 0414- 236400.
All applicants are informed that the university reserves the right of admission for any qualifying candidates.