Uganda Technical College Kichwamba Historical Background
Uganda Technical College Kichwamba Historical Background – Read Details Below:
UTC – KI was started as resettlement camp for veterans after 2nd World War in 1947 as a junior Commercial Technical School offering courses of typing, tailoring and brickwork. During the period 1950 – 1955, it was elevated to a Technical School offering four year Junior Technical Certificate (JTC) courses in brickwork, blacksmiths, woodwork, boat and yacht building. The students admitted were graduates of Junior Secondary (JS) III, later JS II and Primary Leaving Certificate. The examining bodies were first City and Guilds of London Institute, then the East African Examinations Council.
In 1975 it was upgraded to a technical institute and started admit-ting Ordinary Level Certificate of Education leavers for a two year Craft Technical Certificate, phasing out the JTC.
In 1984 it was upgraded to a Technical College offering two year ordinary diploma courses in Building and Civil engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering to students having completed Advanced Level Certificate of Education and holders of Advanced Craft Certificates. Two year higher Diploma courses were later introduced to admit holders of ordinary diplomas. The Examination body for all the courses was the Uganda National Examinations Board.
In 2011, the College started offering National Diplomas in Engineering and ICT following a Competence Based Education and Training (CBET) curriculum. Students are trained in theory and practicals and carry out real life projects. The College is funded through Government of Uganda grants (through the Ministry of Education and Sports) and internally generated funds mainly in form of tuition fees by privately sponsored students and production in workshops.
Currently the College has a student population of 530; of which 15% (79)are female and 85% (451) are male.