Aga Khan University Postgraduate Medical Education PGME Internship
The Aga Khan University Uganda PGME Internship – see details below:
The internship programme is a one-year structured training programme comprising 3 months each in internal medicine, paediatrics , surgery, and obstetrics and gynecology. The internship year at AKU provides:
- Opportunities to train alongside the PGME residents which is a great stimulus for future career tracks to pursue
- Access to a range of rich educational activities that invigorate learning e.g. Faculty Academic Rounds, Junior Researchers Day, Continuous Medical Education and Journal Clubs
- Structured training which mirrors the PGME programs, including work based assessment, assessed using the AKU intern logbook, in addition to the specific logbook issued by the medical board.
- Exposure to other medical specialties such as Family Medicine, Pathology, Anesthesiology and Emergency Medicine, in addition to the main four departments.
The aim of this programme is to provide high quality training to the medical officer interns in both clinical and non-clinical areas. The interns consolidate knowledge and skills acquired during medical school training and learn new skills to function as independent medical officers capable of rural or urban practice. The Aga Khan University Uganda PGME Internship
The Aga Khan University Uganda Objectives
By the end of the one-year training through the four departments, interns should be able to:
- Function as competent and caring physicians
- Assess and manage common medical and surgical conditions
- Manage emergencies and participate in resuscitations
- Start appropriate initial management and refer appropriately
- Perform common procedures independently and efficiently
- Communicate with patients and their relatives effectively
- Work with their peers
- Acquire knowledge of commonly used drugs and their rational use
- Pass emergency training courses in medicine, surgery, pediatrics and obstetrics and gynecology
Eligibility to Enter the Internship Programme
- Evidence of having completed undergraduate course in a recognised medical school in Kenya
- Doctors qualified from medical schools within the East African Community (EAC) region and who qualify for reciprocal recognition
- Doctors who have attained the minimum requirement for admission to universities in Kenya, qualify from outside the country and pass the internship qualifying exams set by the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists’ Board (KMPDB)
- Evidence of having signed the Hippocratic Oath
- Passing the Internship Assessment Exam and interviews set by the Aga Khan University
Recognition of the Programme
Aga Khan University Hospital is a recognised medical internship centre accredited by the Kenyan Medical Practitioners and Dentists’ Board, which is the regulatory body for medical doctors in Kenya.
Programme directors and chief residents assess all interns rotating in the programme at the end of every three months within each discipline. The interns are also issued with Procedure and Skills logbooks for each rotation, which are duly completed for eligibility to proceed to the subsequent rotation. At the end of the training, an internship completion form is sent to the KMPDB subject to satisfactory completion of the Programme.
Selection and Appointment
Applications for the 2020 intake will be open from September 6, 2019 and close on October 4, 2019. Successful applicants will join the Programme in January of 2020. An intern’s appointment contract is for one year, starting on January 2, and concluding on December 31.
Governance of the Internship ProgrammeThe overall responsibility of all interns and intern-related activities rests with the PGME Director and Internship Coordinators. The day-to-day administration of the Programme is managed by Internship Coordinators. The specialty Programme Directors are responsible for training matters, patient care services service as well as interns during rotations in their respective departments.
How to Apply
- Cover letter
- A personal statement that includes future interests.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Academic certificates and transcripts
- Three letters of reference
Applications should be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
P.O. Box 39340 -00623
For any enquiries, contact us on: