Mbarara University Biomedical Sciences and Engineering
Mbarara University Biomedical Sciences Engineering – see details below:
Mankind continues to face health threats characterized by ravaging epidemics, cancer, diabetes, spread of infectious diseases, high infant and maternal mortality rates, HIV/AIDS, low levels of life expectancy and above all, deteriorating healthcare facilities, which work under stress without adequate maintenance routines and regular servicing, leading to poor and inadequate health service delivery systems, especially in Low Income Countries.
The department of Biomedical Sciences and Engineering produces proficient scientists who use the principles of engineering and life sciences and conduct research on the biological aspects of human and animal life, design instruments, devices and software, and bring together knowledge from many technical sources to solve clinical problems.
Our goal is to prepare students/researchers to be leaders and innovators in integrating engineering and biology for detecting and treating human disease, addressing public health challenges and being key prayers in rehabilitation for sustainable health care for developing countries. A unique aspect of our program is how we engage scholars in intensive research using design thinking principles to discover the health challenges and the medical course offered to introduce them to the medical field.
- Sensing and Imaging
- Remote Health Care Technologies
- Image Reconstructions and Analysis
- Shape Modelling
- Machine Learning
- Imaging modalities
- Biomedical Optics
- Use of Optics for medical diagnostics and Biomedical sensing
- Medical Devices
Medical Imaging, Mathematical Modelling and Biosesensing Unit (IMB)
- Research and development efforts shall include design, device fabrication, characterization, and Computational Modeling, Biocompatibility and Functional Vivo studies.
- Development of new instrumentation for biomedical diagnostics and imaging – Biomechanics perspective
- Development of Innovative, noninvasive and minimally invasive ways to test Blood Sugar levels in diabetes
- Development of Innovative, noninvasive and minimally invasive ways to test for Cervical Cancer
- Development of Innovative, noninvasive and minimally invasive ways to detect other body chemicals
- Development of Innovative and low cost imaging modalities like CT, MRI, US and X-ray
- Development of optical instrumentation for Improved detection and diagnosis of cancer and bacterial infections. Technical advances should focus on
- miniaturization of the device
- Increased scanning speed
- Development of Optical sensing and imaging Technologies to enable rapid diagnosis of Bacterial Infection specifically in Tuberclosis.
- To develop Technologies that could aid in the understanding of the underlying Physiology and biology of various pathological conditions and to translate such Technologies in the Medical ArenaBiomaterials & Tissue EngineeringBiomechanics and Rehabilitation Engineering Unit
Courses under the department are;
- Bachelor of Biomedical Engineering
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
Department of Energy, Mineral and Petroleum Studies.
Department of Civil and Building Services Engineering.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
I want to study biomedical engineering is it employable