Makerere University School of Women and Gender Studies
Makerere University Women and Gender Studies – Read details below…
The School of Women and Gender Studies, College Of Humanities and Social Sciences, is a multidisciplinary academic unit that is at the forefront of academic and community initiatives to address gender and development issues from an African perspective.
Established in 1991, the School has grown into a vibrant institution with national and international outlook. In executing its mandate, the School of Women and Gender Studies works through a comprehensive strategy that includes teaching; research, publication and dissemination; outreach, networking and advocacy; and gender mainstreaming. The School seeks to contribute to development in Uganda and the region at large through ensuring that gender is an integral part of the development process. We work towards reducing Gender Digital Divide
Centre for academic excellence in the discipline of women and gender studies at the local, national and international levels .
Provide intellectual leadership for mainstreaming gender in all aspects of economic, political and social – cultural development.
- To train a cadre of various backgrounds who will serve in government, academic and non governmental organizations, where they will act as catalysts for change and will facilitate the integration of gender in decision-making and policy formation.
- To contribute to the intellectual development of the study of gender and development from an interdisciplinary perspective through undertaking research and updating the University curricula to incorporate the results of new scholarship.
- To conscientise both men and women by helping them to understand, recognize and acknowledge the multidimensional roles of women and men in society through public lectures, seminars, workshops and the mass media.
- To contribute to the knowledge base regarding gender issues in Uganda in particular and Africa as a whole; and
- To contribute to the national and global debate on gender by linking scholars, policy makers, activists, extension and field workers for the promotion of women in development activities and programmes.
Makerere University School of Women and Gender Studies Courses
Makerere University School of Women and Gender Studies Contacts