Makerere University Department of ICT Support Services
Makerere University ICT Support Services – Read details below:
The Department of ICT Support Services was set up as a central ICT service unit that provides expert ICT services and guidance to all students and staff of the College of Computing and IS
The broad aims and objectives of the department is to develop and maintain the technical infrastructure of the faculty, to support the delivery of digital systems and services to both the staff and student domains to support teaching and Learning. We metion some of the ICT services provided by the university and the college.
1. Email Services
DICTS provides and supports email services to the university community. Once you have completed the enrolment formalities, you will be able to obtain your university email address with the following format: email@example.com.
For example: A Student called Ms. Africa Uganda registered at the College of Computing and Information Sciences will have an email address as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email addresses can be activated at the following link: http://emailactivate.mak.ac.ug/
Please ensure that you read the User Access Policy available at: http://policies.mak.ac.ug
2. Mailing lists.
A mailing list is an electronic discussion forum. When someone sends an email message to the mailing list, a copy of that message is broadcast to everyone who is subscribed to that mailing list. Mailing lists provide a simple and effective communication mechanism. Mailing lists have been examined as one of the options for making best use of communication. These lists are moderated so that only relevant information is sent through these lists. At student of the college are automatically added to the college mailing lists which is email@example.com, To send an email to all students of the college, please send firstname.lastname@example.org. Other lists for specific courses will be created and you will be informed about the lists
3. Internet Services
- The College currently has over 1200 computers distributed in 10 computer rooms. These labs are open for students use. Please note that the labs may be scheduled for other activities. Confirm with the lab attendants for availability.
- The college also provide wireless access for all students that have laptops. Visit http://http://intranet.cit.ac.ug/ for details on how to access the college wireless
- Wireless hotspots – Using a laptop, PC and hand held devices such as a mobile phone with an internet wireless card or Wi-Fi functionalities, students can access the internet via the wireless hotpots (MAKAir) that are located in the Halls of residence and student centric locations such as: College grounds, Senate Building, Main Library, Main Building and Freedom Square. Will need a Makerere University email address to access MakAir. •
- Internet Kiosks – Students can get access to the internet from the Internet Kiosk located at: Senate Building level 3; Faculty of Education Library; College of Health Science; CCE; Department of Women and Gender and Africa Hall. These Internet kiosks are manned by student, thus giving you an opportunity to apply for jobs a Student Internet Kiosk Administrators. Job Adverts are always place within the Internet Kiosks, on the job advert page http://jobs.mak.ac.ug or the Intranet: http://intranet.mak.ac.ug/
- Student Websites – Students can create their personal website where they can upload their CV’s, images, files and many more via http://students.mak.ac.ug. •
- End User Support – handles all service requests including reporting of faults and requests for new equipment/services. Please visit our office on Block B – level 6. Or call 0776022413
4. Useful Links
- Makerere University Intranet – http://intranet.mak.ac.ug/
- College Website – http://www.cis.makac.ug
- College intranet – http://intranet.cit.ac.ug
- Makerere Research Repository – http://dspace.mak.ac.ug/
- Student Email Activation – http://emailactivate.mak.ac.ug/
- E-learning Services – http://muele.mak.ac.ug
- Makerere University Policies – http://policies.mak.ac.ug/
- Student ienabler – http://its.mak.ac.ug/pls/prod/w99pkg.mi_login
- Student Abstracts – http://sgsrecords.mak.ac.ug