Busitema University Students Loan Scheme
Busitema University Students Loan Scheme – see details below:
Higher Education Students’ Financing Board-HESFB
The Uganda Higher Education Students’ Financing Board (HESFB) is a fund intended to provide financing to Ugandan students who have qualified for higher education in recognized institutions of higher learning but are unable to support themselves financially.
Access to higher education for all Ugandans.
To provide student loans to eligible citizens of Uganda to enable them access higher education at affordable rates and increase equitable access to higher education in the country.
Our Core Values
In pursuing these objectives, The Higher Education Students Financing Board will abide by the following core values.
HESFB Loan Coverage
In the interim, there will be cost sharing between the government and the students whereby the Higher Education Students Financing Board shall cover tuition fees, functional fees, research fees and Aids and appliances for Persons With Disabilities (PWDs).
HESFB Eligibility Criteria
The Scheme is for Ugandan students seeking to pursue higher education in an accredited institution of higher learning recognized by the National Council for Higher Education and also pursuing an accredited programme. The applicant will have been admitted to an accredited Higher Education Institution. The applicant will be required to make a written application to the higher Education Students’ Financing Board by filling in a required form and submit it within a specified time frame.
- The Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports will run an official advert in the major print media of national coverage calling eligible students to apply when the law is passed by Parliament.
- The Loan & Scholarship Scheme is meant for Ugandan students ONLY.
- The Loans shall be disbursed to the Universities.
- Loan shall cover Tuition, Research and Functional fees ONLY.
- The Loan will attract an Interest determined by the Board and approved by the Minister.
- The Loan will initially benefit 1,000 Students to pursue Science related programs in both Public and Private Universities (Chartered universities)
- Different stakeholders have been consulted on this matter and these include among others( All Public Universities, All Private Chartered Universities, Solicitor General’s Office, Local Government Administration, Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development, Parliament and International bodies that have implemented the Students’ Loan Scheme.
HESFB Loan Amount
Initially the loan amount is put at a capping of a weighted average Unit cost of UGx. 4 Million to cater for the pedagogical component (tuition fees, re-search fees, functional fees, aids & appliances for persons with disabilities) while the non pedagogical component such as accommodation, meals, transport costs etc will be cost shared by the students.